Welcome to Los Angeles Southwest College!
LASC is a two-year college that awards associate’s degrees in 34 fields and occupational certificates in 47 disciplines. We offer a range of programs that meet the community’s needs, including college transfer services, occupational training, general, transitional and continuing education, and community services.
The campus is also the site of LAUSD’s Middle College High School. Students can take college courses and obtain their associate’s degree while meeting the requirements for a high school diploma. LASC also has partnerships with other local high schools and offers college-level classes to students at their home campus, online or at LASC.
More than half of LASC students are first-generation college students. Our students come from a wide service area, including: the City of Los Angeles, portions of Gardena, Hawthorne and Inglewood. We also serve international students from different countries around the globe. The Associated Student Organization (ASO) is the governing body for all students and organizes social, cultural and political activities on campus.
We are the Cougars! LASC offers students intercollegiate athletics and competitive team sports in football, and men’s and women’s basketball. Our athletic department is housed in the Thomas G. Lakin Physical Education Center, a state-of-the-art sports complex with world-class amenities. The complex features an Olympic-sized outdoor pool, physical therapy pool, fitness center and a dance studio.
We are still growing. With the passage of Proposition A (2001), Proposition AA (2003) and Measure J (2008), our campus has experienced a dramatic transformation. We now have several new modern facilities, including a lecture building, a comprehensive child development center, bookstore, stadium and field house and a Student Services Center, among others.
Over the next few years, we will have more facilities and infrastructure upgrades coming online such the Career Technical Education building. We also have existing facilities that are scheduled to be remodeled to meet the changing demand of our students and community.
The mission of Los Angeles Southwest College is to facilitate student success, encourage life-long learning, and enrich the lives of its diverse community.
LASC is a learner-centered institution dedicated to meeting the needs of leaners – the students and community who access the college for programs and the faculty, staff and administrators who provide learning opportunities and support. We subscribe to the premise that the learner is at the center of what we do in creating opportunities, providing an environment conducive to learning and working, establishing a place where the discourse of ideas can occur and where individuals can have experiences without sacrificing their individuality.
Our foundations are driven by our institutional core values:
To fulfill the college mission, we are guided by the core values of: accountability, equity, respect, excellence and integrity.
The college assumes and demonstrates accountability by:
- Addressing and implementing the standards of accreditation
- Meeting or surpassing professional and ethical standards
- Being responsive to the needs of students by continuously evaluating and improving
- policies and procedures
The college is committed to promoting equity by:
- Understanding and being responsive to differences in learning modalities
- Promoting access to all who can benefit from the learning opportunities provided by LASC
- Ensuring fair and equitable treatment to students and employees
The college fosters respect, civility and courtesy by:
- Creating an environment of trust where differences are recognized and respected
- Supporting and acknowledging the contributions and needs of students and employees
- Treating individuals with dignity
The college supports the pursuit of excellence by:
- Dedication to students, tasks, and the mission of LASC
- Surpassing requirements and expectations
- Modeling best practices and maintaining currency in area(s) of specialization and service
The college is dedicated to upholding ethical standards and striving for integrity by:
- Interacting with truth, sincerity, respect and collegiality
- Respecting and promoting principles of collaboration and shared governance
- Serving with the highest level of ethical behavior
We are proud of our legacy. A dedicated group of residents led by Mrs. Odessa Cox saw a 20-year vision become reality when the Los Angeles Board of Education approved plans for a new community college. LASC opened its doors on September 11, 1967 with 600 students and 22 full-time faculty members. Today, the college has more than 8,000 credit and non-credit students, 75 full-time faculty members and 150 adjunct instructors. LASC is an educational and cultural hub for the surrounding communities under the leadership of President Dr. Jack E. Daniels, III.