As a comprehensive community college, Los Angeles Southwest College provides high quality, accessible and affordable educational opportunities and services that promote the discovery and application of knowledge, including university transfer, technical, and lifelong learning programs. We promote individual development, enrich lives, and improve the overall quality of life for our diverse and multi-cultural student population. Los Angeles Southwest College is committed to proving an environment for quality learning to enrich the lives of our diverse population.
In order to accomplish the mission, our goals are to provide:
- Promote equal opportunity for participation;
- Maintain appropriate standards for academic achievement;
- Provide an educational environment which meets the needs of students with varied learning skills;
- Provide support services which contribute to instructional effectiveness and student success;
- Affirm the importance of multi-cultural, international, and inter-cultural collegiate experiences that foster individual and group understanding; and
- Manage effectively educational and financial resources.
In order to accomplish these goals, certain college-wide objectives must be met. Therefore, Los Angeles Southwest College will:
- Provide comprehensive transfer, career, and occupational programs;
- Provide a comprehensive general education program;
- Provide special support and developmental programs and services;
- Provide a comprehensive program of counseling and guidance services to all students;
- Provide community service, non-credit, and continuing education programs;
- Provide a comprehensive program of student activities;
- Promote an awareness of these program services to residents in the college service area;
- Provide a comprehensive shared governance model in decisions affecting the college;
- Establish and maintain staff balance, responsive to diversity;
- Plan and evaluate all programs and services of the college;
- Provide professional development for faculty, staff, and administration;
- Provide a college environment with the equipment, library materials, instructional supplies, audio visual materials, facilities, and other professional support services appropriate to each program;
- Maintain an environment supportive of innovation;
- Construct and maintain a safe and attractive physical environment; and
- Provide for the safety and security of college students, staff, and facilities.