student learning outcomes
In order to meet our SLO proficiency requirements, we need to have assessed as close to 100% of our courses as possible. The courses in the following list have no evidence of assessment, as of September 2013. They may have already been assessed, but the evidence just needs to be documented. This evidence must be emailed to Michael Pitts and Phillip Briggs by December 17, 2013.
A list of courses targeted for SLO assessment this fall semester has been established and faculty will be notified.
The second of a series of SLO training workshops, focusing on "Rubrics" as an assessment strategy, will be conducted by the SLO Committee on October 30 (11:15-12:30 pm) in SSEC 210. The PPT on "Rubrics" can be downloaded here. Flex credit is available.
Faculty are currently working on Annual Instructional Program Review Updates which are due to Department Chairs by October 5, 2012. There is an SLO module where "reflections" on course SLO assessment results, analysis, and improvement plans are to be documented. A helpful Program SLO (PSLO) document can be downloaded that identifies course SLOs that are aligned to specific PSLOs.
Congratulations to our own La Shawn Brinson (Child Development) as the 2012 POWER Award Winner for her work on Outstanding Program-Level SLO Assessment. Sponsored by the RP Group and the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges, she was one of four category winners from the entire state and will be presented with the award at the October 2012 Strengthening Student Success Conference.
The first of a series of SLO Training Workshops was conducted by the SLO Committee on May 15, 2012 as a Flex Activity. The "Back To Basics" PPT is available to download and provides an overview of SLOs, assessment strategies, and "closing the loop."
The SLO Committee Report to the Academic Senate (2/14/12) is available and includes courses targeted for SLO assessment this Spring semester. A breakout session on ISLO #1 and #2 data analysis & actionable improvement plans was conducted as part of Flex Day (2/2/12). More details to follow...
The results from a team of faculty involved in assessment of Institutional SLOs (ISLO) #1 and #2 are reported in the November 2011 Student Success Newsletter (pages 7-8). The ISLO Team will be expanded this semester to again assess Critical Thinking and Written Communication using a common rubric.
.A Checklist for SLO Addendum to Course Outline of Record was approved in May 2011 to assist faculty in completing the SLO Addendum form. The form will also be used for technical review of submitted SLO Addenda.
The most recent and updated master listing of course SLOs can be accessed here.
- A total of 18 LASC faculty, staff, and administrators attended the first LACCD SLO Symposium that was held at LATTC and included a panel of SLO experts and poster presentations. Our own La Shawn Brinson and Angela Jenks presented posters on authentic assessment and mapping courses to programs.
- 2010 Strengthening Student Success Conference was held in Costa Mesa from October 6-8, 2010. SLO-related presentations can be viewed and downloaded.
- Our Academic Senate approved 3 SLO-related motions on 9/14/10 that revised our SLO Completion Timeline and established a 6-semester SLO cycle. A SLO Addendum to the Course Outline of Record was also adopted and will be used to identify/modify course SLOs.
- Beginning Fall 2010, two additional faculty mentors (G. Ramos and K. Wright) with reassigned time have joined the SLO Coordinator (G. Yoshida) to assist with SLO assessment and completing SLO cycles.
- On October 14, 2010 (Thursday), teams consisting of all academic departments and student services staff participated in program-level SLO assessment training by the BRIC-TAP facilitators. Check the schedule to see the time/location of each group. Over 70 participants developed/refined their SLO assessment strategies using a BRIC-TAP Inquiry Guide on SLO assessment and are making plans for assessment.
2013-2014 SLO Committee Members
Erika Miller-Washington - Chairperson and SLO Coordinator
Phillip Briggs - Administrator Co-Chair
Nkonye Ezeobah, Faculty, Nursing
Lorna Thompson, Faculty, Nursing
Victoria Omuson, Faculty, Nursing
La Shawn Brinson, Faculty, Child Development
Felicia Duenas, Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Leonard Apenahier, Faculty, Psychology
Guadalupe Ramos, Faculty, Mathematics
Lisa Ford, Faculty, Counselor & Articulation Officer
Kristine Wright, Faculty, Sociology
La Vonne Hamilton, Institutional Research
Vacant - ASO Representative