Satisfactory Academic Progress

Keeping My Financial Aid with SAP

Once you receive your financial aid, you are then required to maintain the Eligibility Requirements outlined by the FAFSA for the entire time you are receiving these funds. In addition to those requirements, each semester you receive aid, you also need to show you are making academic progress. This is called maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Satisfactory Academic Progress

LASC’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy follows federal and state requirements to track the academic progress of each person who receives financial aid to ensure they are working towards an eligible academic program.  Please review the LACCD SAP Brochure.

If you receive financial aid, here is what you will need to maintain your SAP:

  • Maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher after attempting 30 units or more.

This includes classes with grades replaced by Academic Renewal (poor grades that get replaced by better grades upon retaking the class) will still be considered in your cumulative GPA.

  • Complete at least 67% (or two-thirds) of the units you enrolled in.

For example, if you enrolled in 12 units, you would need to receive a passing grade in at least 8 of those units. ([12 ÷ 3] x 2 = 8)

  • Complete Units: classes with grades A, B, C, D, CR, and P.
  • Units Attempted and Not Completed: classes with grades F, NC, NP, W, I, and RD.
  • If you received grades RD or I, please notify the Financial Aid Office when your records are updated.
  • Complete your chosen degree program before attempting 150% of your program unit requirement.

For example, you have chosen a degree program that requires you to complete 60 units in order to graduate. You needed to retake some classes to improve your grade. You need to make sure you do not take more than 29 additional program units above the 60 units you need to graduate from your program, or you will be over the maximum units to receive financial aid. ([60 ÷2] x 3=90 units is 150% of 60 units)

  • If you are required to complete remedial-level courses in order to meet your educational goals, you are allowed an additional 30 units (two full-time semesters) to your program requirement.
  • If you need to take English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, you will have additional units added to your program requirement.
  • If you received a D or F in a course, you are allowed to repeat that course three times without permission. If you do not pass the course after the third time, you will need to petition by completing the ‘Repeat with Special Circumstances’ form to get approval by Admissions & Records for another retake.

Once the Add/Drop Deadline of a term has passed, the classes you are enrolled in go on your permanent record. These will be the classes LASC’s Financial Aid Office will use to evaluate your SAP at the end of each term (Summer, Fall, and Spring). Our evaluation of your permanent record includes not only the classes you took at LASC, but also any other applicable program units that were transferred from other institutions.

If you do not meet the above requirements, you will be placed on probation and unable to receive further financial aid until you take the necessary steps to correct them. Depending on your situation, you may also have to repay the government some or all of the financial aid funds you received for the semester you were put on probation.

The 2023-2024 Satisfactory Academic Progress Petition for extension of financial aid can be completed here.

SAP Workshops are available! If you still have questions, please attend an SAP Workshop to find out more!

Financial Aid Office

Office Hours and Location

Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 6:00PM
Fridays Remote Only: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed

Appointment suggested
Appointments required for virtual and in-person options.

Student Services Building, Room 104
LASC Federal School Code: 007047


Muniece Bruton, Financial Aid Manager
Linda Yanez, Supervisor, Financial Aid
Email: @email
Phone: (323) 241-5338
Fax: (323) 241-5463