Mondays – Thursdays
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Register for Classes Today
Welcome To The Umoja Community!
Umoja (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African-American and other students. We want to hear your story and help you along your educational journey. Join our family so that we can help you be successful in college! LASC’s Umoja Learning Community is open to all students and is specifically designed for the success of African-ancestry students. We are diversity-focused with a cross-cultural philosophy.
Complete our Umoja application and meet with our program coordinator to see if you qualify:
UMOJA Benefits & Services:
You’ll have access to our dedicated Umoja counselor for:
- Career counseling
- Assistance creating your Student Education Plan (SEP)
- Advice on how to be a successful college student. You can talk with them about life, school, work, or whatever is on your mind.
We’ll help you transfer to a four-year university or college successfully!
- College and University Tours
- Assistance researching which universities or colleges would best fit your goals
- Talk with university representatives about what their college can offer you
- Transfer counseling to make sure you are taking the courses you need to transfer
- University application assistance
Work one-on-one with tutors or in groups with peer tutors who are in your classes so you can:
- Build your confidence
- Get tips and shortcuts to succeed in your classes
- Learn strategies to study smarter so you are more productive
We bring in guest speakers to talk about what’s happening in our community
Make the most out of your college experience:
- Educational Workshops – Study smarter, not faster. Learn how to succeed in every class, and learn tips and different programs at LASC that can help you get ahead and stay ahead in every subject.
- Motivational Workshops – discover your potential as an active learner, set goals and plan your next achievements to help you get where you want to be.
As a member of Umoja, you will have access to:
- Everything the Statewide Umoja Community has to offer, including access to fellowships, empowering conferences, and events.
- A tight-knit campus-wide community where you can meet others going to LASC with similar interests and share what’s on your mind.
- On & Off-Campus Enrichment Activities to make you aware of all of the possibilities available to you.
Expand your world and join us!
- Attend museum tours and cultural exhibits
- Visit universities, colleges, and educational centers
Our program is a safe space to be able to relax and be yourself from the outside stresses of life and academics. Have something you want to talk about? You always have a safe place to say what’s on your mind. Talking with others is the best way to relieve stress, feel heard, and have a voice in our society and our world.
You can also complete our Interest Form if you’d like to receive more information about our program.