Contact Us

Veterans Resource Center
Dr. Howard Irvin, Vice President of Student Services
Student Services Building (SSB), Room 207

LASC Employee Directory

Office Hours:
Mondays and Wednesdays 
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesdays and Thursdays
8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Online Office Hours
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays to Fridays
Apply to Become a Student

Register for Classes Today



Veterans Resource Center

Smiling Vet Graduates

Welcome Veterans!

Thank you for your service and for choosing Los Angeles Southwest College to pursue your academic goals. Here, you’ll find a warm and supportive environment where you can succeed.

The Veterans Resource Center proudly serves active-duty and reserve service members, Veterans, and eligible family members. 

Please note: Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all academic counseling at LASC will use Cranium Cafe, a meeting and collaboration platform designed specifically for student support.

Once on the ConexED page, students and faculty should use the "Login with Canvas" button. Staff should use the "Guest Registration" button

  • Students can access Cranium Cafe by clicking the online counseling button on each department's web page or the counseling and live chat button on the homepage of the student portal.  Students need to create an account, sign in, and can then begin chatting with counselors.
  • Counselors will be available on Cranium Cafe during their typical hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 1 pm. Fridays. Students will be able to meet with a counselor from any special programs they belong to or a general counselor of their choice. Students are strongly recommended to meet with counselors from their special programs.
  • Although counselors will be able to perform most functions remotely, there may be slight delays in completing some tasks such as document requests from other colleges. Please be patient. LASC Counselors are here to answer your questions and help you plan for academic success this Spring Semester and beyond.

Veterans Live Chat

Video chat with Veterans Counseling on Cranium Cafe

Our Veterans Resource Center provides the following support:

  • Assistance with the GI Bill® applications
    • GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at
  • Veterans Benefits
  • Employment Assistance
  • Individual and group study sessions
  • Referrals to community agencies serving Veterans
  • Student Veteran Lounge & computer stations
  • Academic counseling
  • Money management / Stress management workshops
  • Peer mentoring and more

Stop by our renovated one-stop Veterans Resource Center (VRC) that has a Student Veterans Lounge with five (5) computer stations and a multi-purpose room where we hold monthly workshops, study group sessions, and club meetings. 

  • Join NATCONthe largest annual convening of Post-9/11 veterans in the world, February 19-20.

Our veterans' counselors and staff can help you access and maximize your benefits for your educational needs, as well as identify and connect you with LASC’s outstanding support and services to help you achieve your goals. Your first step is scheduling an appointment with one of our Veterans Resource Center counselors. Contact or stop by the VRC to schedule an appointment.

Tips for Applying
  • If you plan to attend LASC under one of the veterans’ bills, you must schedule an appointment with the Veterans Resource Center Counselor. Contact or stop by the VRC to schedule an appointment.
  • Want to get veterans’ monetary and support benefits? You will need to allow several weeks for the Veteran's Administration to process your subsistence payment applications. Therefore, we recommend meeting with one of our veterans' counselors as early as you can to get the paperwork started.
  • You can receive a credit of up to six (6) college units for time served in the armed services. When you request this, you will receive elective credits along with an application for graduation.
  • To be eligible for veterans' benefits, you must select a major and choose courses from those listed under the major in the Course Catalog. For more information about courses, you can visit the Counseling Office or meet with your veterans' counselor.
  • If you are receiving subsistence (funds to assist with paying for college and living expenses), note that the Veterans Administration demands Satisfactory Academic Progress (find out more below) in order to continue receiving financial payments without any interruptions. Ask your counselor if you have any questions.


Did you know that most veterans who graduate from a UC or CSU had attended a California community college for their first two years before they went to one of these universities? Starting at LASC for your first two years of college is a great way to kick off your higher education experience.

LASC offers smaller class sizes and more one-on-one learning than UCs, CSUs, and many private universities. This gives you an easier transition into an academic environment and promotes your success. 

If you do want to transfer to a UC, CSU, or any other college or university, check out our Transfer Center where they can ensure you take the classes you’ll need for that university and have the information for a smooth transfer!


You are required to attend all of your classes. Instructors may drop any student who is excessively absent when the hours absent equal the number of classes per week, regardless of the reason. For example, if you have a class that meets three times a week and are absent from class for more than three hours, your instructor might drop you. 

If you know you will be absent from class, we recommend contacting your instructor to let them know so they are aware you are out and can let you know their policies.


As a veteran, you must immediately inform the Counseling Office if you have any reduction in units (i.e. you drop a class or change a class for one that has fewer units). The last day of attendance in that class must be reported immediately to the Veteran’s Administration in order to avoid over payments. We recommend meeting with a veteran's counselor who will discuss what you need to do.

An excessive number of dropped classes, also known as W units (i.e. classes that you drop after the Academic Calendar Drop Date) may lead to academic probation or disqualification which will ultimately lead to your G.I. benefits being discontinued. 

If you need to repeat a class, inform the Office of Veterans Affairs and visit your veteran's counselor to create a new Student Education Plan (SEP).


You will need to submit a V.A. Certification for Attendance to continue to receive your benefits.There are two criteria you need to meet to be V.A certified for attendance:

  1. You must be officially registered at LASC 
  2. You must be in good academic standing (see next tab below for more information)

If you have any questions on how to apply to LASC, register for classes, or what is required to stay in good academic standing, meet with one of our veteran’s counselors for assistance.


It is important to stay in good academic standing while in college.

You will be placed on academic probation if any one of the following conditions occurs:

  • Grade Point Average falls below 2.0, or your GPA in any semester is below 2.0.
  • Transfers from another college with an overall GPA under 2.0.
  • The total number of W units (dropped courses) exceeds the number of units completed.
  • If you fail to maintain a C average (2.0) for the semester, you will be subject to disqualification.

If you feel you are close to getting a GPA below a 2.0, or if at any time you want extra help for your classes, we can help!

Visit the Veterans Resource Center where we will connect you with others who can give you tips and insights on how to thrive in your classes. 


If you have received the minimum required units to receive an associate degree (60 units), but need additional units in order to graduate in your chosen major, you must have an overall evaluation of your records completed before your degree can be certified in order to continue receiving benefit payments. 

First, visit the Counseling Office to have your evaluation sheet properly signed by one of our Veterans Affairs counselors in the Counseling Office. 

Next, you will need to send it to the Office of Veterans Affairs, where they will certify only those classes which are deemed necessary for your graduation.


If you have military experience and education in a healthcare occupation, you may qualify for advance placement into LASC’s Nursing program. Below is further information on what you will need in order to obtain advance placement. 

We recommend also reviewing this information in the current Course Catalog for any updated information.

In the catalog and the Nursing Student Handbook located on the Nursing Program’s webpage, you can review our current policies on Petitioning for Credit by Examination and how to Challenge for Nursing Course Credit:

Military Personnel Advance Placement Requirements

If you have documented military education and experience in health care occupations, specifically one of these:
  • Basic Medical Technician Corpsman (Navy HM or Air Force BMTCP)
  • Army Health Care Specialist (68 W Army Medic)
  • Air Force Independent Duty Medical Technician (IMDT 4NOX1C) 

You may be eligible for advanced placement into the LASC nursing programs. You’ll need documentation of your education and experience to qualify for the specific Military Health Care Occupation, as well as successfully completing the appropriate challenge exams, dosage calculation exam, and skills competency evaluation. Official transcript(s) and documentation of your experience (on official letterhead) must be submitted. You must have been discharged under “honorable” conditions. 

Consult the Nursing Student Handbook, Nursing Program webpage, and the Course Catalog for further information on policies and other information about the program.You may also qualify for our Nursing Curriculum: 30-Unit Option to become a Registered Nurse faster.


If you are an active or reserve service member in the United States military, you may receive orders that force you to withdrawal from your courses. If this occurs, upon verification of your orders, you may receive an ‘MW’ (military withdrawal) at any point after being in the class over thirty percent (30%) of the time from when the class started.

See your veterans counselor and the Course Catalog for more information.


If you are an active duty member of the United States military, a veteran, or a spouse or child of a service member or veteran, there are many ways you can receive financial aid to complete your educational goals.

Your first step is to apply for the FAFSA to qualify for federal, state, and local aid.Along with this financial aid, you have access to veteran education benefits. Go to to check your eligibility status and sign up for your unique benefits.

Additionally, California also offers CalVet education assistance to all veterans, active service members, and their dependents going to college.Here are a few other financial aid awards available if you have military service experience:

Visit us at the VRC if you need assistance completing any financial aid applications.

Note: if your income has drastically changed due to unemployment, career changes, or from being recently discharged, make an appointment to visit our Financial Aid Office to submit a change of income status for your financial aid.


Scholarships are a great way to get extra financial assistance for college! Below are some military-related scholarship sites for you to see which ones might be the best for you to apply to. Application requirements and time lines vary for each application, so we recommend you to check them thoroughly to see when each one is:

AFCEA Educational Fund 
Air Force Association  
The American Legion Scholarships  
American Veterans Scholarships  
Army Aviation Association of America  
Army Nurse Corps Foundation  
Army Scholarship Foundation  
Army Women’s Foundation  
Chief Petty Officer Scholarship Fund  
Coast Guard Exchange (CGX) Scholarship Program  
Dolphin Scholarship Foundation  
FINRA Foundation Military Spouse Fellowship  
The Folded Flag Foundation  
Fisher House Foundation
Homefront America  
Imagine America Foundation 
Marine Corps League  
Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation Department of Veterans Scholarship Search 
Military Order of the Purple Heart Scholarship Program  
National Military Family Association  
Navy League of the United States  
Patriot Legacy Fund 
Project Working Moms 
Scholarships for Military Children  
Scholarships for Military Families  
Thanks USA 
Tillman Military Scholars  
VFW Auxiliary  
Wings Over America  
Women’s Army Corps Veterans’ Association

Hill & Ponton



  • Student Veterans of America is focused on addressing the needs and concerns of American military veterans in higher education.VA of Greater Los Angeles
  • U.S.VETS is the nation’s largest nonprofit provider of comprehensive services to homeless and at-risk veterans. We are dedicated to the successful transition of military veterans and their families. With 11 facilities in six states and the District of Columbia, U.S.VETS provides vital services such as case management, employment assistance, job placement, counseling, housing, and more.
  • CAL VET review the Educational Benefits you have federally and in California.
  • PATH is a family of agencies working together to end homelessness for individuals, families, and communities throughout Southern California. The organization provides supportive services, permanent housing development, support for homeless families, and community engagement.
  • Follow LASC's Veterans' Resource Center on Facebook.
  • The GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to veterans, their dependents, and spouses.


The mission of LASC’s Veteran Resource Center is to advocate, educate, and empower veterans, service members, and military families.

The VRC’s objective is to support veteran students as they navigate the transition from military life to campus culture and academic success.


  • The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) veteran students will be able to navigate and complete the matriculation process.
  • Veteran students will meet with their academic counselor to establish a major and academic Student Educational Plan (SEP).