Contact Us

Admissions & Records
Angela Torres, Admissions and Records Supervisor
Student Services Building, Room 102
Live Chat

LASC Employee Directory

Office Hours: 
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays
8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Apply to Become a Student

Register for Classes Today

Admissions & Records FAQs

Click Here For Live Chat

Smiling students at commencement

Get Answers to Your Questions about Admissions

Review the questions below. If you still have questions, please contact us to help answer your questions.

Below are answers to common questions on:

  • Applying



  • You can apply to LASC anytime! Check out our Academic Calendar to find out
    when our Summer, Fall, Spring and Winter terms begin for the current academic year.
  • Applying to LASC is quick and easy! Go to LASC’s Get Started webpage to discover how easy it is to apply for admission.
  • You should receive an email from Admissions & Records explaining how to register for classes within 48-72 hours after submitting your application.

Need help? Stop by LASC’s Admission & Records Office, Room 102, Student Services Building. We have computers you can use where staff members can help you.

Contact us by email and let us know. Make sure to include your full name, date of birth, and when you submitted your application. We’ll research what happened to it and get back to you. If you don’t receive a response from us after two business days, call us at 323-241-5321.

As long as you remain a student at LASC, you do not have to reapply each semester. However, if you skip two semesters or more, you must officially reapply in order to get an appointment to register.

If you are a high school student and want to take classes at LASC, you must apply every semester.

Yes, you will need to reapply. But, as you know, applying is easy! Get started and we are excited to have you back on campus!

Yes! There are two ways you can go to LASC as a high school student.

  • You can enroll in a class or two at LASC while concurrently being in high school. This is called concurrent enrollment. Find out more about concurrent enrollment.
  • You can apply to enroll in Middle College High School where you will go to high school at LASC, taking high school and college courses to get a head start on college by earning college credits, certificates and degrees while still in high school.

You should get an email from LASC’s Admissions & Records Office within 48-72 hours letting you know how to register for classes.

If you do not receive this after 72 hours, please contact us to let us know. Please include your full name, date of birth, and when you submitted the application. We’ll research what happened and get back to you.

Congratulations! If you are the first person in your immediate family to go to college, you are a first-generation college student, and there are definitely support services you can use to help you reach your academic goals.

  • First, make an appointment with an academic counselor and let them know. They can let you know about the many different support services LASC offers to help you succeed.
  • Find out if you qualify for Extended Opportunity Programs and Services  or our TRiO Scholars which can give you benefits, such as book vouchers, priority registration, additional academic and transfer counseling, transfer assistance, supplemental instruction for math and English, workshops, and more.
  • Make sure to apply for financial aid. By completing one application, either the FAFSA or the CADAA, you can confirm if you qualify to get free federal and state money to go to college.
  • There are scholarships dedicated to first-generation college students, such as the First in Family scholarship and many others. Ask a counselor, review our scholarships page, and do an online search for all the others out there.
  • LASC offers you many support services to make sure you reach your academic goals, such as peer tutoring, child daycare, transitional courses to improve writing and reading, flexible class schedules so you can take classes online, evenings, weekends, and during the day.
  • Admission is when you are accepted into a college. Having admission to a college allows you to register for classes. We have an open admissions policy which means we accept almost everyone who applies. Check out our Get Started webpage to discover how easy it is to apply for admission.
  • Registration is choosing which classes you want to take. To register for classes, you have to first submit an application. You will receive an email from Admissions & Records within 48-72 hours explaining how to register for classes online. Remember, your registration is not complete until you pay for your tuition and fees. Only after registering for classes and paying tuition and fees are you considered to be enrolled in LASC.
  • Compared to a four-year university or college, it’s hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars less!
  • You can find out exactly how much tuition and fees cost from the Business Office.
  • Make sure to review all of our financial aid, scholarships, and financing options we have. You could even get money for going to college that you don’t have to pay back.

Yes. The student health fee is not health insurance, but a fee required of all students who register for on-campus classes to give you basic health services through our Student Health Center, while you are at LASC.


You don’t need a Social Security Number to apply or to register for classes. The one place you will need a Social Security Number is if you plan to apply for federal financial aid.

If you are an undocumented student, visit our Dream Resource Center webpage for more information on how you can apply. If you are undocumented, you are considered an out-of-state student. But, you could qualify for a tuition fee-waiver if you meet the qualifications under a law called Assembly Bill (AB) 540. This law allows qualified undocumented and out-of-state students to have their out-of-state tuition fees waived at public colleges and universities in California.

You can get class information in three different places, and they are all free and online:

  • LASC Course Catalog is the main document you need to plan your studies here at LASC. It lets you know what courses you need for your major, gives a description of each course, and has all of LASC’s policy and procedure information. Use the catalog from the first year you started attending LASC to get information on what courses you need for your major unless your academic counselor advises otherwise.
  • LASC Class Schedule is where you will find which classes are offered during a specific semester, along with other scheduling information, such as when and where the class is offered, and who the Instructor is for the class.
  • Student Information System also has class schedule information so you can find the classes you need to coordinate it with your schedule.
  • For Fall and Spring semesters, you are considered full time when you are enrolled in 12 or more units. Half time is considered 6-11 units. If you have less than 6 units, you are considered less than half time.
  • For Summer and Winter terms, you are considered full time when you enroll in 6 units.
If you don’t remember or don’t know your student ID number, log-in to the Student Information System using your Social Security Number and your 4-digit PIN number. Your default PIN is the month and day of your birth date, for example, January 15 = 0115. The System will then give your student ID number.

Once you have registered for class(es) you are eligible to receive a free student I.D. card. Take your Registration/Fee Receipt and a photo ID card (such as your high school ID card, Driver’s License or California ID) to the Photo Identification Office in the Student Services Building (SSB), Room 204. They are open Monday – Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Before you can register for classes, you must:

  • Meet with an academic counselor to help you prepare a student education plan (SEP). Counselors are available by appointment or on a walk-in basis. Academic counselors will help you to select the classes you need for the upcoming semester or year.
  • Once you complete these steps you should be fully prepared to register for classes. After registering, take a printout of your registration / Fee Receipt and your photo ID card to the Photo Identification Office to get your student ID card.

Figuring out residency is a complex process.

You are considered a California resident if you are present in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis for 6 months or more in a 12-month period (CVC §516) and/or California is the state where:

  • You are registered to vote.
  • You are gainfully employed. Military personnel is not considered gainfully employed in California, even if they also hold a civilian job.
  • Your place of business is located.
  • Resident tuition is paid at a public institution of higher education.
  • Dependents attend a primary or secondary school.
  • Homeowner's property tax exemption is declared.
  • Property is leased for use as a residence.
  • The residence is declared to obtain a license, privilege, or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
  • Your current driver's license was issued.
  • You are determined to be a resident as evidenced by acts, occurrences, or events that indicate the presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

If you still have questions after reading the information, please contact us or make a QLess appointment to help you with the process.


There are a couple of ways you can find out which classes you need for your major or program of study:

  • Find your program in the Course Catalog. It will list all of the classes you will need to take for a specific degree or certificate.
  • Talk with your academic counselor who can help you choose which classes you need to take on a timeline that works for you so that you can meet the requirements needed to earn a degree or certificate.
  • You can also talk with your counselor about what kind of program is best for what you want to do. We offer associate degrees and associate degrees for transfer, certificates of achievement and skill certificates.
  • You can find out exactly how much tuition and fees cost from the Business Office.
  • Compared to a four-year university or college, it’s hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars less!

Be advised: Tuition is regulated by the state of California and is subject to change without notice.

If you have completed a prerequisite course for English, math, or a science course at another college, bring an unofficial transcript or report card to Admissions & Records Office in the Student Services Building (SSB).

If you took at Advanced Placement test or another exam that would meet the requirements of a prerequisite, please review the Credit by Examination section in the current Course Catalog for our
policies on which exams we accept along with their qualifying scores, as well as the procedures you will need to follow depending on which exam you want to have considered for qualification.

  • Attend the first class meeting to find out if the instructor is accepting additional students for the class.
  • If there is space available in the class and the instructor is willing to add you, ask for an approved Add Permit from the instructor and submit it to Admissions and Records (SSB, Room 102) before the deadline to add classes.
  • IMPORTANT: Check the academic calendar in the Class Schedule for the Add a Class deadline. If the deadline falls on a holiday or a Sunday, you must submit your approved request to Admissions & Records on the business day on or before the deadline.
  • We will not be able to process your Add Permit if you have any holds that
    prevent registration. Make sure all holds are cleared before you submit your Add Permit. You can check to find out if you have any holds in your Student Information System account.
  • You are responsible to ensure you are officially added to your classes before the Add a Class deadline.
  • Deadlines are strictly enforced.
  • You are responsible for dropping any class you do not wish to attend and need to make the first step by dropping your unwanted class either online on the Student Information System or at Admissions & Records (SSB, Room 102).
  • Never assume you will automatically be dropped from a class if you do not attend.
  • IMPORTANT: Remember to drop classes by the Drop Class deadlines listed in the Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes. If you should miss this date, we recommend making an appointment with your academic counselor as soon as possible to discuss your options.

You can drop a class online or in-person at Admissions & Records, SSB, Room 102, during our office hours.

Keep in mind, you are responsible for knowing all of the deadlines to drop a class is for each term you are enrolled in classes. Visit the Academic Calendar or Schedule of Classes to find when the Drop a Class deadline is.

To drop a class online, follow these steps:
Step 1: Go to the LASC homepage and click on Register for Classes. This
will lead you to the Student Information System (SIS). 
Step 2: Log into the SIS with your Student ID Number or SSN. You must also enter your PIN. Remember, your default PIN is your birthday month and date, for example, January 15 = 0115.
Step 3: On the SIS menu, click on the yellow tab that says "Registration."
Step 4: You must select your college – Los Angeles Southwest College – along with the semester and year.
Step 5: In the “Action” drop-down box, select “Drop.”
Step 6: Enter the section number of the class you want to drop. If you do not know the section number, you can find it by using the tab named "View Schedule" to review your classes.

Step 7: Click “Submit.”

Step 8: Once the system has dropped the class you wanted to be removed from your class schedule, you will get a confirmation number. 

Make sure to keep this number as proof you dropped the class. 

You can use the "View Schedule" tab on the right menu bar to confirm the class is dropped from your class schedule. If it was successfully dropped, there will be a date in the Drop Date column next to the class you dropped.

To add an online class, or to find out what to do if you are on the standby list for an online class, please visit the Student Information System for more information.

If you are on a standby list to add a class, you must attend the first day of class if you want to have a chance of getting into that class. The instructor for the class may add students to the class starting with the first person on the standby list (typically number one on the list) until the class is full.

Keep in mind, if you are registered for a class and do not show up for the first day of class, you can lose your spot to someone who is on the standby list or who is there to ask the instructor for permission to add the class.

You do not need to drop standby listed classes from your schedule because you are not officially enrolled in the class, nor are you charged tuition for it; however, you must add the standby listed classes and pay for them before the Add a Class deadline to receive credit for the class.

  • To find out if a course has a prerequisite, corequisite, or is recommended, go to the Course Catalog and Schedule of Courses where the Course Descriptions show the enrollment requirements of Prerequisite, Corequisite, or Recommended right below the course name. When you are registering for classes online via your Student Information System look at the top of the course description to find if it has any qualifications.
  • A prerequisite is typically a set of skills or a body of knowledge you need to have before you are able to enroll in higher-level courses or programs. Without these skills and/or knowledge, it is thought you would be highly unlikely to succeed in that course or program.

    If the academic information we have about you shows you do not have these skills and/or knowledge, you will not be able to enroll in this course until you get the knowledge and/or skill set needed for that specific course or program.
  • A corequisite is a course or program you need to take along with another course, as both courses being learned together provide the knowledge or skillset you can only get from taking them simultaneously, and that you would be highly unlikely to succeed by taking each one separately.
  • Lastly, a recommended course is a course or program you are advised, but not required, to take before enrolling in another course. In these courses, you will receive a set of skills or body of knowledge that will go into more depth about the subject, and that without which you would still be likely to succeed the course or program.

Keep in mind, if you have had previous experience or academic knowledge and would like to challenge the prerequisite requirement in order to bypass it, please find the section on the Prerequisite Challenge Process in the Course Catalog for more information.

We understand that life takes many turns. You may have wanted to start college, but had something happen where you need to start at another time.

  • We highly recommend making an appointment with your academic counselor before dropping all of your classes. They can connect you with different support services that could help you make attending school a reality.
  • And, if you’ve taken out financial aid, it’s very important to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Representative to make sure you know if you will owe any funds back.
  • Parking permits can be refunded if they are returned in reusable condition before the Drop a Class deadline. There are no refunds for one-day parking permits.
  • Refunds on textbooks will be allowed until the Drop a Class deadline as long as you have the receipt and the books are in new condition without any marks on or in them, including your name. If books are returned as used,
    you will receive 75% of the new price. No refunds are given on any unwrapped textbooks, and all refunds are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
  • ASO Membership fee will be refunded completely by Drop a Class deadline.
  • You can find more information about LASC’s refund policy in the Enrollment Fee Refund Policy section in the Course Catalog.

If you are interested in taking a class where you want to learn more but do not want to receive credit or a grade for the class, auditing is a great way to enrich and expand your knowledge.

Here are the conditions in which you are allowed to audit a class:
1. If you are registering to take up to ten (10) or more units of for-credit courses (where you would receive a grade), you will not be charged to audit three (3) or fewer units in one semester.

2. Auditing courses is $15 per unit. These fees are subject to change, so please check with the Business Office to confirm the per-unit amount.

3. Once paid, these fees are nonrefundable.

4. Once you have chosen and paid to audit a class, you are not allowed to change your enrollment in order to receive credit for the course.

5. Permission to enroll in a class on an audit basis is solely up to the Instructor’s discretion.

Find more information on auditing a course in LASC’s Course Catalog.

Grades & Transcripts

You may mail a request for transcripts to the following address: Los Angeles Southwest College, Attn:  Admissions and Records, 1600 Imperial Highway, Los Angeles, CA 90047.  Please print out and include the Transcript Request Form.  Please include a money order for $3.00 per copy.  Incoming and outgoing mail may be delayed due to the pandemic. 

You may mail a personal letter requesting official transcripts. Please include the information that is included in the Transcript Request Form.  Be sure to sign your request and include a daytime telephone number.  Mail your request to Los Angeles Southwest College, Attn:  Admissions and Records, 1600 Imperial Highway, Los Angeles, CA 90047.  Be sure to include a money order for $3.00 per copy.  We do not accept checks, debit or credit cards.

Parchment: You may access their site via the following link, or by signing into the Student/Faculty Portal

Cost of Official Transcripts

If you submit your request by mail, please include a money order for $3.00 per copy.  Your first two copies are free if you have not ordered official transcripts since summer 2017.  You may only request your two free copies via mail.  If you use Parchment, you must include payment. 

*Parchment Fees are as follows:  Transcript fee is $3.00 (ten business days or less for processing), plus  rush/emergency service is $10.00 (processed within two business days upon request) per transcript, plus a processing fee of $2.75. The rate is the same for either a paper transcript or electronic transcript request.  Parchment will accept credit/debit cards only for payment. You may track your transcript order at

Effective Summer 2017, LACCD transitioned from nine college specific transcripts to a single district transcript for all nine colleges.  If you attended one or more LACCD Colleges since 1974 and beyond, please place the transcript order at the last LACCD College you attended.  The LACCD transcript will reflect both credit and noncredit courses completed at any of the nine LACCD Colleges.  There is no need to submit a request to each individual campus to get all of your LACCD coursework on a transcript.

The LACCD consists of the following nine California Community Colleges:

  • Los Angeles City College (LACC)
  • East Los Angeles College (ELAC)
  • Los Angeles Harbor College (LAHC)
  • Los Angeles Mission College (LAMC)
  • Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC)
  • Los Angeles Southwest College (LASC)
  • Los Angeles Trade Technical College (LATTC)
  • Los Angeles Valley College (LAVC)
  • West Los Angeles College (WLAC).

IMPORTANT NOTES:  The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.  Transcripts can only be released to third party with an Authorization to Release Information Form signed by the student (per transaction).

The Office of Admissions and Records does not hold transcripts for grades, petitions or graduation.  It is your responsibility to ensure that all grades are posted and any petition or grade appeal approved and noted on your record prior to submitting a transcript request.

The Office of Admissions and Records does not provide unofficial transcripts, as they can be viewed and printed by you from the student portal.

If you are a student and need to get an official Enrollment Verification, go to the bottom of our Grades & Transcripts
webpage to find detailed instructions on how to get official Enrollment Verifications.

Remember, your first two official transcripts and/or enrollment verifications are free, as long as you don’t need a rush on it.

Please be advised: we do not certify enrollment for any term before the start date of that term.

For Employers and Other Agencies:
Los Angeles Southwest College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse may be contacted at:


Phone: (703) 742-4200 Fax: (703) 742-4239


Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Go to the bottom of our Grades & Transcripts webpage to find detailed instructions on how to get official and unofficial transcripts.

Remember, as long as you don’t have an academic or financial hold on your account, you can print your unofficial transcripts anytime through your Student Information System account.

You can download and complete the Petition for Review of Grade form, or pick up a copy at Admissions & Records (SSB, Room 102) during our office hours.

After you complete the form, submit it to Admissions & Records where we will contact your instructor to review the grade that was originally entered. Your instructor will let you know if the original grade was correct or not. If it needs to be changed, your instructor will contact Admissions & Records with that information.

Please contact us if you do not find the grade change in your transcript within a week of your instructor contacting you advising your grade should be changed.

If you disagree with a grade your instructor gave you, you can review the dispute process on our Grades & Transcripts webpage, or go to our Course Catalog for detailed information.