Mondays - Fridays
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Register for Classes Today
LACCD Sets Policy For Hard To Convert Classes
Posted on: 09/02/2021
The return of classes to in-person modalities for the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) will occur when allowed per current Health Orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, mostly likely during Stage 3 of the Los Angeles County Recovery Plan. All District and college policies and practices must align with restrictions and guidelines within that stage as a minimum standard for the safety of all faculty, students, and staff. Bringing classes back to campus will be challenging and require coordination and resources.
- Limit the number of classes brought back to minimize the potential for community spread and can allow for effective safety guidance, protocols for Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), social distancing, testing, and contact tracing.
- What can be completed online must be maintained online during Stage 3 of the County recovery plan.
- For those classes offered in-person, every effort must first be made to maximize the
number of course hours occurring online to help minimize the number of course hours
occurring in person.
- Simulations should be utilized when available and distribution of supplies for at-home activities is permissible to minimize the in-person hours.
- Only allow courses on-site that must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Have course or program objectives and activities that cannot be done at home in a remote learning environment
- Requires supplies or equipment not available or that cannot be satisfactorily reproduced in a virtual format for remote learning
- Requires that in-person hours must be completed for employment, licensing, or articulation purposes for external boards
- Requires in-person training for safety or skills abilities prior to entering a field for apprenticeships or internships
- If the number of courses needed for in-person instruction exceeds the onsite capacity,
courses may need to be delayed to a semester where such capacity exists or in which
health restrictions are further lifted.
- Each College President is the final authority on determining the priority for which courses are able to be offered on campus.
This policy requires the following criteria must be included in all plans:
- Cost estimates for PPE and cleaning supplies
- Full adherence by all LACCD faculty, students and staff to all L.A. County health guidelines and protocols of all required equipment, PPE, and cleaning supplies
- Complete protocols, plans/documentation, and schedules for District/College personnel regarding the cleaning of all needed classroom equipment and workspaces both before and after each classroom session, plus cleaning of restrooms and other facilities
- A communications plan for the distribution of all plans, signage, protocols, and procedures for all faculty, students, and staff
- Ensure all required special accommodations for students with disabilities for safe return to in-person instruction