Female Students Clapping at Graduation Event

Transfer FAQs

We have answers to your frequently asked questions about transferring

If you don’t see the answer you need, contact us or stop by for a visit!

Know the kind of environment that you consider to be valuable and seek it out. Are the following factors important to you?

  • Does the university offer the major(s) that I am interested in?
  • How many students attend the university?
  • What is the faculty to student ratio?
  • What kinds of student support services are offered?
  • What is the community like around the campus?
  • Is there housing and transportation?
  • How many students are in a typical class?

If you have not decided on a major, then talk with a counselor as soon as possible. A counselor can provide you with resources to help you begin to research to determine your career objective and your major.

The Transfer Center has college catalogs, computer stations, and knowledgeable staff to respond to your questions about transfer. During the major application periods, the Transfer Center will assist you with your application(s) and review before you submit. The Transfer Center staff is here to assist you with transitioning to a university!

This depends on the deadlines given by the institution you are applying to and the term for which you are applying. But, find out this information early so you can be ready to apply when the time comes. Generally, you apply one full academic year before you are ready to enroll.

CSU campuses accept applications until they are full. Some majors at some campuses are impacted and require students to apply early. Use the CSU Mentor website to check application deadlines. Private and out-of-state colleges and universities vary in their admission dates and deadlines.
You should check the websites of each college and university you are interested in attending.

The GPA necessary for admission varies from campus to campus and from major to major. Check with each campus you are interested in transferring to for the GPA requirements.

To see if your classes are transferable to a UC or CSU:

  • go to assist.org
  • choose the academic year you want to review
  • click on the community college where you took the course
  • select the university you want to transfer to
  • click View Agreements
  • choose how to View Agreement by
  • select your major
  • click View Agreement to the right
  • scroll down the agreement. You will see a list of courses. If your course is on the right side of those pages, then your course(s) are transferable.

For transferability to non-UC or CSU universities, “determination of transferability” is made by the receiving institution, meaning they will need to review the course and decide if it will transfer to their universities. Many universities will not be able to provide you with a direct response until you have applied. However, if we have an agreement with the university, we may have course to course articulation that exists.

For the UC and CSU system, you will need to have 60 transferable units to transfer. For all other institutions, it depends on the receiving university. Many universities will accept transfer students with fewer than 60 units. Some universities may require the SAT or ACT if you don’t have enough to be considered a transfer student. Check the university website for the required number of units, or contact their representative.

This varies by the university so check with each. Generally, for the CSU and UC systems, if all your work has been completed at a community college, they will let you apply 70 units from a community college toward your bachelor's degree; but there is no maximum number of units you may accrue.

California has two public university systems. The UC system emphasizes a theory-based approach to learning, and offers doctorate programs in most disciplines, along with graduate opportunities in medicine, dentistry, business, law, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. The CSU offers traditional and career-specific majors, with graduate opportunities at the master's level.

Articulation agreements allow us to see the equivalence of our courses at universities. These agreements help with educational planning, as it will let you know which courses they want you to take to fulfill their general education pattern or the major that you want to go into. Articulation agreements are useful tools to help you to transfer. If we do not have an articulation agreement with your target institution, it does not mean you cannot transfer there. You can still apply and be admitted.

GE is a program of courses in the arts and sciences that provides a broad educational experience. Courses are usually introductory in nature and provide you with fundamental skills and knowledge. It may also help you make decisions regarding your major.

The UC and CSU have a set pattern of GE courses you can follow. For the CSU system, you can choose from the CSU-GE Breadth or from IGETC. The UC system will accept the IGETC. You can find the advising sheets in the Transfer Center or Counseling Department. Please note that there are some schools that recommend not following the IGETC, so make sure to always work with your academic counselor.

A TAG is a formal agreement that outlines the requirements that must be met before transfer in order to be guaranteed admission into the university. Currently, LASC has TAGs with all UC campuses except UCLA and UC Berkeley. This does not mean you cannot transfer there. You can still apply and be admitted. See Step 5 on the Transfer Center homepage for more information.

Lower-division refers to the freshman and sophomore level courses. Upper-division refers to junior and senior-level courses. All courses offered at LASC are lower-division courses.

If you attended an international college or university, you need to be sure to ask many questions. It is the college or university that you want to transfer to that must tell you which courses they are going to accept, not LASC. It is important that you contact the college or university that you plan to transfer to as well as meet with a Counselor early in your academic career at LASC.

Yes. You are required to report all previous institutions that you have attended.

If you provide false information, you could potentially have your admission or degree revoked.

In some cases, yes, and in some cases, no. The ability to change a major completely depends on the rules governing Major changes at the college or university that you will be attending. Don't assume this is easy to do. In fact, sometimes it can be impossible.

Transfer Center

Office Hours and Location

Mondays and Thursdays: 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 8:00AM - 6:00PM
Fridays: 8:00AM - 1:00PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed

Student Services Building, Room 227


Dr. Lisa Ford, Chair
Email: @email
Phone: (323) 241-5399
LASC Employee Directory