Mondays - Fridays
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Register for Classes Today
Welcome to TRiO STEM
Welcome To The TRiO STEM Program!
If you want to go into allied health or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math) career, LASC’s TRIO STEM Scholars program is designed to give you extra support to help you thrive as a student at LASC. You can also receive important information and additional help in completing an associate degree and/or transferring to a four-year college or university in a STEM major.
Please note: Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all academic counseling at LASC will use Cranium Cafe, a meeting and collaboration platform designed specifically for student support.Once on the ConexED page, students and faculty should use the "Login with Canvas" button. Staff should use the "Guest Registration" button.
- Students can access Cranium Cafe by clicking the online counseling button on each department's web page or the counseling and live chat button on the homepage of the student portal. Students need to create an account, sign in, and can then begin chatting with counselors.
- Counselors will be available on Cranium Cafe during their typical hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 1 pm. Fridays. Students will be able to meet with a counselor from any special programs they belong to or a general counselor of their choice. Students are strongly recommended to meet with counselors from their special programs.
- Although counselors will be able to perform most functions remotely, there may be slight delays in completing some tasks such as document requests from other colleges. Please be patient. LASC Counselors are here to answer your questions and help you plan for academic success this Spring Semester and beyond.
Here just some of our benefits and services:
- Counselors who specialize in advising students enrolled in STEM & allied health fields
- Comprehensive Student Education Plans (SEPs) created specifically for STEM majors to complete their academic goals
- Supplemental Instruction in math & science courses to ensure you succeed, including extra academic support in math, science, & writing
- College transfer assistance, including help on completing applications and information on managing your finances
- Personalized mentoring and tutoring with a current/former TRIO STEM participant
- Campus tours at four-year colleges & universities
- Math, science, and nursing textbooks for reference
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) programs are funded by the U.S. Department of Education and are designed to assist students overcome, class, social and cultural barriers to higher education.
Minimum Academic Requirements
- Have the interest to go into a STEM or affiliated Health major
- Be enrolled in 9 or more units per semester
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Have NOT completed an associate or bachelor’s degree
Student Eligibility Criteria:
- Be a United States citizen or Permanent Resident (this is a federally-funded program)
- Be at least one of the following:
- First-generation college student
- Have a verified physical or mental impairment & a part of LASC’s DisAbility Student Programs & Services (DSPS)
- Receive Financial Aid for the current academic year (i.e. California Promise Grant, Pell Grant, EOPS Grant, Federal Loans)
As an LASC TRIO STEM student, you will need to:
- Meet with your STEM Counselor at least twice per semester
- Meet with the STEM Tutor/Mentor to assess tutoring needs
- Attend at least one Academic Success workshop (financial literacy, writing your personal statement, math anxiety), attend a campus tour, or a campus event each semester (these are optional, but highly recommended)
Make an appointment with a STEM Counselor
Please call 323-241-5392 to make an appointment or drop-in to the office during regular Office Hours to schedule an appointment. During the appointment
- Review with the Counselor your intended major choice, and discuss your academic, personal, and career goals
- Go through your transfer options
- Complete your comprehensive Student Education Plan (SEP)
- Complete your application for the STEM program
After students meet with the TRIO STEM Counselors, they will:
- Be able to identify two to three four-year colleges and/or universities that offer their major of choice.
- Have a thorough understanding of the prerequisite preparation required for STEM majors.
- Currently enrolled STEM students who are on the transfer track to four-year colleges will complete their transfer applications prior to the stated deadline(s).