Mondays - Fridays
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Register for Classes Today
Welcome to TRiO STEM
Welcome To The TRiO STEM Program!
The TRIO Student Support Services STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Program has been on the Los Angeles Southwest College (LASC) campus for over 10 years. TRIO STEM is funded by the U.S. Department of Education and is designed to assist students overcome, class, social & cultural barriers to higher education & provide services for students wishing to enter the STEM or Allied Health fields.
Its primary focus is to increase the retention, and persistence of first-generation and low-income participants to completing a certificate or AA/AS degree, graduating and transferring to a college or a university.
TRIO STEM Counselors offer personal support, and individualized counseling along with wrap around services that include comprehensive academic support through the transfer process and exploring career options. In addition, Tutors and Mentors work with participants to help them successfully complete their coursework and learn how to navigate and prepare for transferring to a 4-year college or university.
LASC’s TRIO STEM program also offers activities and assistance that include (but are not limited to) workshops on the transfer process, application assistance, financial literacy and financing your education, dealing with math anxiety, preparing for life after transfer, etc.
Finally, we offer cultural enrichment activities (trips to museums and performances) as well as campus tours to local public and private four-year schools each semester.
Please note: Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all academic counseling at LASC will use Cranium Cafe, a meeting and collaboration platform designed specifically for student support. Once on the ConexED page, students and faculty should use the "Login with Canvas" button. Staff should use the "Guest Registration" button.
- Students can access Cranium Cafe by clicking the online counseling button on each department's web page or the counseling and live chat button on the homepage of the student portal. Students need to create an account, sign in, and can then begin chatting with counselors.
- Counselors will be available on Cranium Cafe during their typical hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 1 pm. Fridays. Students will be able to meet with a counselor from any special programs they belong to or a general counselor of their choice. Students are strongly recommended to meet with counselors from their special programs.
- Although counselors will be able to perform most functions remotely, there may be slight delays in completing some tasks such as document requests from other colleges. Please be patient. LASC Counselors are here to answer your questions and help you plan for academic success this Spring Semester and beyond.
Here just some of our benefits and services:
- Counselors who specialize in advising students enrolled in STEM & Allied Health fields
- Comprehensive Student Education Plans (SEPs) created specifically for STEM majors to complete their academic goal
- Supplemental Instruction in Math & Science courses to ensure you succeed, including extra academic support in math, science, & writing
- College transfer assistance, including workshops on completing applications
- Information on managing your finances and
- Reviewing financial aid award letters
- Financial literacy workshops
- Personalized mentoring and tutoring from current or former STEM participants
- Campus tours to local four-year public and private colleges & universities
- Including meetings with Admissions Counselor Representatives
- University and College Fairs
- Math, science, and nursing textbooks for reference (office use only)
- Computer lab for TRIO participants
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) programs are funded by the U.S. Department of Education and are designed to assist students overcome, class, social and cultural barriers to higher education.
Minimum Academic Requirements
- Have the interest to go into a STEM or affiliated Health major
- Be enrolled in 9 or more units per semester
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Have NOT completed an associate or bachelor’s degree
- Be enrolled in Math 125/Math 125S or higher
Student Eligibility Criteria:
- Be a United States citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be at least one of the following:
- First-generation college student (first in your family to go to college)
- Receive Financial Aid for the current academic year (i.e. California Promise Grant, Pell Grant, EOPS Grant, Federal Loans, Federal Work-Study)
- Have a verified physical or mental impairment & be a participant of LASC’s DisAbility Student Programs & Services (DSPS)
As an LASC TRIO STEM participant, you will need to:
- Meet with your STEM Counselor at least twice per semester
- Meet with the STEM Tutor/Mentor to assess tutoring needs
- Attend at least one Academic Success workshop (financial literacy, writing your personal statement, math anxiety), attend a campus tour, or a campus event each semester (these are optional, but highly recommended)
Make an appointment with a STEM CounselorPLEASE NOTE: Due to the current Covid-19 closure of the LASC campus, please email the Director and Counselor, Dr. Angelita Salas directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or make an appointment on-line at: https://laccd.craniumcafe.com/angelitasalas
Please call 323-241-5392 to make an appointment or drop-in to the office during regular Office Hours to schedule an appointment. During the appointment you will:
- Review with the Counselor your intended major choice, and discuss your academic, personal, and career goals
- Go through your transfer options and identify 3-4 colleges or universities
- Complete your comprehensive Student Education Plan (SEP) including all pre-requisites and general education requirements
- Complete your application for the STEM program
- TRIO STEM Application
When you are ready to Transfer, TRIO STEM can assist you with completing your applications.
First, get help with research and transferring from the TRIO STEM Program or from LASC’s Transfer Center
- Review transfer courses and eligibility to a CSU or a UC at ASSIST.org
- California State University Application
- University of California Application
- UC Personal Insight Questions
- The Common Application is used for Private colleges & Universities
Apply for Financial Aid
- Cal State University Nursing programs for BSN or RN to BSN
- RN Programs in California
- Los Angeles County College of Nursing & Allied Health
- Mount Saint Mary’s University (RN & BSN)
BSN programs at the University of California:
After students meet with the TRIO STEM Counselors, they will:
- Be able to identify two to three four-year colleges and/or universities that offer their major of choice.
- Have a thorough understanding of the prerequisite preparation required for STEM majors.
- Have a comprehensive educational plan completed for their intended major.
- Currently enrolled STEM students who are on the transfer track to four-year colleges and universities will complete their transfer applications prior to the stated deadline(s).