Mondays – Thursdays
8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Register for Classes Today
Welcome To The NextUp Office!
Formerly known as CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies for Foster Youth Educational Support), our NextUp program supports current and former foster youth who want to attend college. If you are a current or former foster youth and you want to attend college, stop by Room 218 in the Student Services Building to join LASC’s NextUp Program!
We can help you with many academic, financial, and personal needs so you can meet your educational goals. NextUp works through EOPS to expand EOPS services and adjust them to meet the needs of current and former foster youth going to LASC.
To be eligible for NextUP, you must
- Be an EOPS student.
- Be a current or former foster youth in California whose dependency was established or continued by the court on or after your 16th birthday.
- Be 25 years old or younger at the beginning of the academic year (Fall Semester).
- Be enrolled in at least 9 units at the time of enrollment into the program.
- Submit a Court Verification Letter.
To apply to NextUp, complete the NextUp and EOPS sections of the EOPS Application. Make sure to click the ‘Submit Form’ button at the bottom of the application after answering all of the required questions that have a red asterisk (*) next to them.
Our program strives for students to be self-confident, independent learners who are aware of the resources, facilities, and organizations available to them, and who understand their rights and responsibilities as a student and a citizen.
Benefits of Joining NextUp
This allows you to sign up for classes before others who do not have Priority Registration.
This is an expanded service where you will receive financial aid that’s just for NextUp members to help you buy books and supplies to succeed in your classes.
You will work with our outstanding NextUp counselors who can help you: decide on a career based on your skills and interests, select your class schedule, and talk about anything that’s on your mind. With regular check-in visits, your counselors are there to help you each semester.
As with EOPS, you’ll have the benefits of getting that added assistance with one-on-one meetings to work through the tough spots so you don’t feel stuck or behind in your classes. Our tutors can give you pointers, tips, and guidance to keep you feeling confident and engaged.
Want a bachelor’s degree? We can help you find the best college for your goals and needs. And, LASC works with certain local, state, and national colleges to guarantee your admittance into those colleges if you meet certain requirements. We have this and much more to help you transfer.
- Health Fees Paid – you’ll receive a voucher that pays your health enrollment fees each semester.Parking & Gas Card (if eligible) – if you’re eligible, you can get a gas card that helps pay for your gas, and get your campus parking permit paid for each semester.
- Student Success Workshops – get the skills and strategies so you can get the most out of college. When you know your own habits, you can work with them to make college a meaningful and rewarding experience.
- Independent Living & Financial Literacy Skills Support – learn how to budget, save, pay bills, figure out your expenses, what rights you have as a renter, and other very helpful skills and information for independent living.
- Financial Aid Workshops – you’ll meet one-on-one with our Financial Aid technicians who will review all of the financial opportunities you can apply for so you can study harder and worry less.
- Frequent In-person Contacts – having regular check-ins with your NextUp counselor ensures you get the help you need when you need it to meet your educational goals and be successful.
- Housing Referrals – finding housing can be difficult. So, we can give you referrals to people who understand your situation and your needs to help you in your search.
- Health & Mental Health Services – as a NextUp student, we’ll go over all of the health and mental health benefits you will have access to in case you need a doctor, or need someone to talk with on a more consistent basis.
- Access to NextUp Food Pantry – our food pantry will give you access to food supplies throughout each semester to give you the energy to focus on what you are studying.
At EOPS, our Student Learning Outcomes are for each EOPS student to meet with a program counselor, identify a major, and discuss their goals during their first semester.